Autodesk has released Revit 2015 Release 2 for users on the subscriptions program. It is meant to update your copy of Revit 2015 whether it is a standalone installation or part of one of Autodesk’s product suites. This seems to be more than the typical service pack and is available only to those on the subscription program. It includes additional capabilities, as well as includes service pack items included in update release 4. After Release 2 is applied, the build number will be 20140905_0730 and will say “Update Release 4”. (Note that non-subscription users do have access to Update 4 via the update page, but not this R2 version of it.) Revit users on subscription can access this update by logging into their Autodesk Subscription site.
Revit 2015 R2 does not have a file format change so you can continue to work with Revit users that continue to use the existing Revit 2015 release.
A big enhancement to this R2 version is in the area of sitework. Autodesk acquired the SiteWorks site planning software from Eagle Point Software Corporation. Sitework has long been an area of limited capability within Revit and this enhanced capability will please many users wanting to do more with that aspect. Subscription members can download the new Site Designer Extension for Revit 2015 from the Product Enhancements portion of the subscription site.
According to Autodesk’s notes on this release,
“This update requires either the initial release of Autodesk Revit 2015 (build: 20140223_1515) or Autodesk Revit 2015 Update Release 3 (build: 20140606_1530) . Autodesk Revit 2015 Update Release 3 will need to be applied to any installed Revit 2015 which has either Autodesk Revit 2015 Update Release 1 (build: 20140322_1515) or Autodesk Revit 2015 Update Release 2 (build: 20140323_1530) applied. Installation will also be blocked if Autodesk Revit 2015 Update Release 4 (build: 20140903_1530)) has been applied, a full uninstall followed by a new install of Autodesk Revit 2015 will be needed in order to apply Release 2.”
I installed this release without issue on my Autodesk Building Design Suite version which was running Update Release 3.According to Autodesk, the following are the features of this update.
Power: Revit 2015 R2 includes new features that enable you to do more with Revit.
- Share more accurately predicted energy performance information in custom dashboards with Project Solon integrated into Revit.
- Use existing geometry in a linked IFC model as a reference for dimensions, alignment, snapping, and hosting of some families in a Revit model.
- Troubleshoot models better with the Reveal Constraints mode making all dimension alignment constraints in a view visible.
- Explore visual programming with the Dynamo interface for computational design which now installs with Revit so you can more easily enhance and extend the power of the Revit API.
Performance: Autodesk Revit R2 meets requests for faster software performance with the goal of making your work easier.
- Edit and regenerate complex toposurfaces, subregions, and building pads.
- Get better performance of the energy analytical model in Revit, with Revit R2 using less memory when analyzing large models.
- Experience faster updates to views that contain multiple instances of families.
- See faster display of Revit links within views.
Productivity: You’ll welcome multiple enhancements in Revit R2 designed to improve your modeling and work productivity.
- Work in perspective views, making quick adjustments without having to change views with some modeling capabilities now available in perspective views.
- Save more time by editing multiple wall joins together
- Find content more quickly with Search capabilities in the Type Selector and all drop-down lists.
- Navigate PDFs exported from Revit more quickly with hyperlinked views.
- Experience easier interaction with structural elements through user interface improvements.
- Improve productivity with more streamlined Rebar modeling and shop drawings creation.