Building codes are utilized all the time for the design and construction of buildings. Most companies have hard-copy versions of the applicable codes sitting on desks or shelves in the office, but the codes can also be accessed online or via your smartphone for free. This is great since we may not always have the hard-copy version available to us. If we are out on a construction site, being able to access the codes with our smartphone or tablet is a great benefit.
The International Code Council website has an online library that allows free viewing of all sections of both the International and the State Adopted codes. Using the free access, the user has limited search and print capabilites, but with a paid subscription comes full capabilities with the site.
The site includes International Building Codes for years 2012, 2009, 2006, 2003, and 2000. The following codes are included on the site:
- International Building Code
- International Residential Code for One- and Two-Family Dwellings
- International Existing Building Code
- International Fire Code
- International Plumbing Code
- International Mechanical Code
- International Fuel Gas Code
- International Energy Conservation Code
- International Property Maintenance Code
- International Zoning Code
- ICC Performance Code for Buildings and Facilities
- International Wildland-Urban Interface Code
- International Private Sewage Disposal Code
- ICC Electrical Administrative Provisions
- International One- and Two-Family Dwelling Code
- International Model Energy Code
State codes accessible on the site include Arkansas, California, Florida, Kentucky, Michigan, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina, and Wisconsin.
Regardless of whether you access the site for free usage or via subscription, you can still get to the necessary information as long as you have internet access via your technology option.
Unfortunately, there is no app for using the code information from this site. To access the site from your smartphone or tablet, you will need to create a bookmark with your web browser. If you need access to the site very often, it is a good idea to place this bookmark on a home screen.