The initial releases of Autodesk AutoCAD Architecture 2011 and AutoCAD MEP 2011 possess a bug that causes the software to crash when using the Trim command. The problem is also sometimes triggered by other commands such as Fillet, Chamfer, and Extend.
Autodesk has released a Hotfix for this problem and compressed zip files for both 32-bit and 64-bit installations can be downloaded at the following website:
According to the Readme text file, the instructions for using the Hotfix are:
To install Trim Hotfix
NOTE: You must have administrative privileges on your Microsoft Windows operating system to complete the installation process.
- Close all software applications.
- Find the product installation folder; for example, C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD Architecture 2011
- In this folder, right-click the AecRenovationDb.dbx file and select Properties.
- Click the Version tab and confirm the file version. If the file version is 188.8.131.52, then proceed with this installation.
- In the product installation folder, right-click the AecRenovationDb.dbx file and rename it AecRenovationDb.dbx.old.
- Based on the version of your product, double-click Trim_ACA_MEP_hotfix_32bit.zip or Trim_ACA_MEP_hotfix_64bit.zip and extract the AecRenovationDb.dbx file to the product installation folder, for example, C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD Architecture 2011.
- Right-click the new AecRenovationDb.dbx file and select Properties. Click the Version tab and confirm that this file is version 184.108.40.206.
- To remove this hotfix, delete the new AecRenovationDb.dbx file that you downloaded to the product installation folder and restore the file you renamed in Step 5 to the original name.