Autodesk has released a utility that will benefit users that need to create a file to be used with the Autodesk’s Navisworks 2010 program. This is excellent news as users no longer must have a licensed copy of Navisworks Manage installed on their computer to create this file. This has real benefits to companies needing to create the exchange file.
The Navisworks file with the “NWC” extension enables the transfer of object geometry and associated metadata (such as object properties and materials) from the design software applications into Autodesk Navisworks 2010. Previously, a licensed copy of Navisworks was required to be installed on the actual computer doing the exporting of the required Navisworks NWC file. If a company had not purchased a license of Navisworks, they needed to send an appropriate model file to someone that had Navisworks Manage. If a company did have a copy of Navisworks, they needed to make sure that the copy was installed on the appropriate computer. Companies no longer need to worry about having a copy of Navisworks to be capable of sending someone a NWC file.
Navisworks is rapidly becoming highly utilized on Building Information Modeling (BIM) projects where clash detection is desired. Some project contract documents require the Architect or another project team member to utilize clash detection software at specific periods of time during the design phases to help cut down on change orders during the construction phase. This new requirement is causing more companies to create the required NWC files, so this new utility will benefit many organizations.
With this utility, NWC files can be exported from the following applications:
- Autodesk AutoCAD-based applications versions 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010
- Including AutoCAD, AutoCAD Architecture, and AutoCAD MEP
- Autodesk Revit-based applications
- Revit Building 9.0, 9.1
- Revit Architecture 2008, 2009, 2010
- Revit Structure 3.0, 4.0, 2008, 2009, 2010
- Revit Systems 1.0, 2.0
- Revit MEP 2008, 2009, 2010
- Autodesk 3DS MAX versions 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 2008, 2009, 2010
- Autodesk 3DS MAX Design 2010
- Autodesk VIZ versions 4, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
- Bentley Microstation versions 95, SE, J, 8, 8.9
- Graphisoft ArchiCAD applications
- ArchiCAD 8, 8.1
- ArchiCAD 9/Constructor 2005
- ArchiCAD 10/Constructor 2007
- ArchiCAD 11/Vico Constructor 2008
- ArchiCAD 12/Vico Constructor 2008
- AutoCAD-based applications export the NWC file through the NWCOUT command typed at the command line.
- Revit-based applications have the NWC export option in the External Tools tab.
- 3DS MAX and Viz use the File Export function to save the file as a .NWC file.
- In Microstation, NWCOUT is typed in the Key-In dialog box.
- ArchiCAD uses the File -> SaveAs function to create the .NWC file.
The Autodesk Navisworks NWC Export Utility can be downloaded from the following location: